Sunday 20 July 2014

Sea turtle in Danger Information Booth

During our events (16th – 18th July 2014), I was in charged in part of the information booth and it is called “Sea Turtle in Danger”. The most important message that we wanted to bring to our audiences and participants was the information of how sea turtles are in danger and what consequences that they are facing and might cause them to extinct in the future or soon. Therefore, my teammates and I had decorated the booth with pictures and some materials that can create awareness to the audiences. Here are some pictures of my booth:


The first reason that causes sea turtles in danger is because of the selfishness and greediness of human being. They stole sea turtles’ eggs to do some illegal business, example like sell the eggs to other people as food. In addition, they also put baby sea turtle into a plastic bag with chemical liquid to make it as live key-chain.


Second reason is about predators of sea turtles. There are few animals that will consume sea turtles as food such as dogs, ghost crabs, raccoons, sea gulls, crows. They will eat their eggs, some eat the baby sea turtles which are just hatched from the eggs and wanted to crawl back to sea.


The last reason is also caused by the human being and we called it fishery-related mortality. It has been identified as a major cause of accidental sea turtles’ deaths because sea turtles must go on the surface of water to breathe but they have caught in fishermen’s net and they are unable to go on the surface of water, thus drown.
So, when I was explaining the reasons to the audiences, I could read the responses from them which were telling me that they were quite agree with the reasons. Some also told me that they will boycott those people who used sea turtles as business to earn money. I hope I have done a good job in creating awareness to the audiences and so can increase the chances of prevent sea turtles to extinction.

No comments:

Post a Comment